Jones' Potato Chips
Frederick W Jones, founder of Jones Potato Chip Company, began his career as a distributor. He sold a variety of products such as margarine, soup mixes, cookies, pickles, nuts, pretzels, and potato chips. In the early 1940's, Frederick was unable to get potato chips from his usual source. The Jones Potato Chip Company was quickly born.
As was common among potato chip manufacturers of the day, Frederick cooked his potato chips by hand in a kettle. The kettle cooked chips were lifted out of the hot oil in a basket and spread out on a counter to cool and be salted.
In order to increase production, pieces of automated equipment were added to the process to handle larger volumes of potato chips. By the 1960's everything from peeling potatoes, slicing, frying, salting, and packaging were done by machine, as it is today.
The Jones Potato Chip Company is truly a family organization. Over the years, Frederick, his wife Elaine, and all six of their children have worked in the business. Currently, there are twelve family members working for the company in some capacity. Frederick and Elaine retired in 1986.
In the early 1980's the company started expanding it's territory into new cities and towns around Ohio. The company has continued to develop it's mail order business, sending potato chips throughout the United States, and to military people around the world.
In January of 1996, the Jones Potato Chip Company purchased the Thomasson's Potato Chip Company. Thomasson's was another family owned potato chip company located in Elyria, Ohio.
Jones' Potato Chips Company
Address: 823 Bowman Street, Mansfield, OH 44903
Freephone: 800- 466-9424
Read Reviews Here