The original business started in 1918. Three families: The Goldstein, Porter and Chait families formed a cooperative and began a small grocery company called Eagle Grocery. Within ten years the Eagle chain had expanded to 125 stores. During the same year, the company was bought out by the Kroger Company, with the agreement that the three families would stay out of the grocery business for three years.
While all this was going on, two other families; the Moravitz and Weizenbaums, had built their own chain of grocery stores, called OK Grocery.
In 1931, the five families got together to form Giant Eagle. The first Giant Eagle supermarket opened in 1936. Throughout the next two decades, the chain grew throughout the Pittsburgh area.
By the 1950s, Giant Eagle became a prototype supermarket, often leading the way in food and domestic retail, and the chain grew further.
During the 1980s and 1990s the company expanded their area further and purchased other companies, including, the Tamarkin Company and its Valu-King stores. This provided a presence in Ohio. Giant Eagle was in Cleveland by the 1990s, after acquiring the Stop-n-Shop stores. The stores were re-branded and re-named.
The company continues to expand its area and buy-out other companies for re-branding purposes.
Giant Eagle now has stores in four states: Ohio, Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Maryland. With its 229 locations, 36,000 employees, and revenue figures of over $10 billion, the company is in the top fifteen of US Supermarket chains.
Address: 101 Kappa Dr. Pittsburgh PA 15238
Email: website contact form
Giant Eagle Potato Chips