Lunds & Byerly's
Lunds & Byerly's are a high end supermarket chain in the Minneapolis-St. Paul area of Minnesota. They are separate stores but are both owned and operated by Lund Food Holdings. In 2012 there were 11 of each store.
In a major move, during 2006, Lunds & Byerly's launched an online grocery shopping service. This provided customers with the option of collecting groceries in store after ordering themonline or having it home delivered.
Lunds was originally called Hove's and opened its first store at the corner of Lake Street and Hennepin Avenue in the Uptown area of Minneapolis. We do not have a date, but it is believed to have been early in the 20th century. In 1922, an employee called Russell Lund took an equity stake in the cheese and cracker department. He went on to start a popcorn business, which did sufficiently well for him to take a larger stake in 1939. By 1964, the chain of stores had taken the Lunds name.
Don Byerly began his company in 1968. The first store opened in Golden Valley, Minnesota. Ten further stores were added to what were large grocery operations. They now provide in-store United States Post Offices, full-service banks, pharmacies, coffee shops, floral departments, plus wines and spirits shops.
In 1997, the company was purchased by Lund Food Holdings, Inc., parent company of Minneapolis-based Lunds.
Lund Food Holdings Inc.
Address: 4100 West 50th Street, Suite 2100, Edina, MN 55424
Lund & Byerly's Potato Chips